Sunday, November 2, 2008

Time for a cuppa?

It is used excessively throughout Australasia—for has it not been shown that our four million people use more of this beverage than the millions who inhabit Continental Europe, if Russia be excepted? This fact is much to be deplored, for when taken in excess it causes severe functional derangement of the digestive organs, and prejudicially affects the nervous system. The gentler sex are greatly given to extravagant tea-drinking, exceeding all bounds of moderation in this respect.

Muskett, Philip The Art of Living in Australia, 1893 CHAPTER VI. DIET

By the 1890s, Australians were consuming around 8lbs (3.6kg) of tea per person annually, which was a good fifty percent more than the British and five times as much as the Americans. These were statistics which worried medical practitioner and health reformer, Philip E. Muskett.

He called for a more restrained approach to the drinking of tea. Nowadays we consume around a quarter of the 1890s amount, and it seems every magazine I pick up heralds the anti-oxidant health benefits of tea drinking, particularly the drinking of green tea.

Of particular concern to Muskett was women’s timing of their cups of tea.

“Their favourite time for a chat and the consumption of tea is at any period between ten o’clock in the morning and three in the afternoon. Now, if there is anything of which I am certain, it is that tea in the middle of the day, say from ten o’clock to three, is a deadly destructive fluid.”

I’ve often had a cuppa in the middle of the day, with nary a thought about the deadly destructiveness of my habit. Perhaps it is something about the way the tea was made back then? There is a big difference between a cup of tea made with a quick dangle of a teabag in some hot water, and a pot of tea made with precision in the age-old tradition.

I consulted Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management (1861) to ensure I was making tea in the same way as those extravagant tea-drinking women who attracted Mr Muskett’s disapproval. The italicised instructions under each photo are Mrs Beeton’s.


Warm the teapot with boiling water; let it remain for two or three minutes for the vessel to become thoroughly hot, then pour it away.
The old-fashioned plan of allowing a teaspoonful to each person, and one over, is still practised.


The tea will be quite spoiled unless made with water that is actually ‘boiling’, as the leaves will not open, and the flavour not be extracted from them; the beverage will consequently be colourless and tasteless,—in fact, nothing but tepid water. Pour in from 1/2 to 3/4 pint of boiling water, close the lid, and let it stand for the tea to draw from 5 to 10 minutes; then fill up the pot with water.


The end result? A lovely strong cup of tea. I added the milk after I poured the tea into my cup. I know it is an issue of some contention, but Mrs Beeton didn’t have anything to say about that matter.

I consumed my cup over a chat in the middle of the day. So far I haven’t noticed any ill-effects, but I shall report back if I do.

How do you like to make your tea?

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Mary said...

I am interested to know if anyone is aware of the ritual my mother uses (as her mother did) of turning the teapot anti clockwise three times to add the drawing?

Mary said...

Aid not add!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I guessed right!

(I purposely don't look at who is writing each entry, and then make up my mind as I read along. This was a very 'Alison' post. I could almost hear your voice as I was reading.

Sadly, I'm a teabag girl. Mainly at work, where they supply free green teabags. Apparently green tea has lots of good things in it that teachers are statistically low in. Probably patience and understanding...

Anonymous said...

You make tea (if I make a pot) the same as me. Only I rotate the pot 3 times anticlockwise. This is the way I was taught, and still do it! I was taught to put the milk in first, although I prefer to add it last to ensure it's not too milky.

All that talk of tea, I now want to make some. Care for cup?

(Oh - at work I only drink green or peppermint. Made in a cup. With a bag. Usually by someone else, who brings it to me.)

Le said...

decaf coffee girl I am afraid ... long black preferrably - although I will do a cap on soya milk ...

I have learnt to drink tea - lots of herbal ones I really delicious.

If it is a regular tea I am weak and black - no sugar in anything ...

I wonder if it is like being a dog person or a cat person - are you a tea person or a coffee person ... hmm - thanks for sharing - cheers le

Anonymous said...

I'm a teabag girl these days. A fussy teabag girl.

English Breakfast tea
Fine china cup
Brewed to darkish honey colour
1 tsp milk (put in after the tea is the desired colour)
1 tsp sugar (trying to kick this but y'know sometimes I just need it).

No thick mugs allowed. Hate milky tea.

Don't usually like teapots because the tea just sits and stews in there. But, I must admit your tea does look quite good.

Don't like others making my tea. Really, it's better for everyone if I just make my own... :)

Stomper Girl said...

I've already blogged extensively about my thoughts on tea-making; pots, leaves being key parts but I must mention that bone china is also incredibly important for perfect tea!! I will say although Mrs Beeton is mostly in the right of it, I think she leaves her pot to draw a little too long, I like my tea quite hot. (All the better to melt the accompanying chocolate with, my dear)

Dee said...

Oh, that cup of tea looks just like I like it... i have tea (bags) at work, strong, sugar and milk.

Lesley said...

Nothing wrong with modern teabags.
But I do so love the whole teapot ritual — the warming, the sound the water makes when you pour it on to the leaves, the smell of the leaves, the sound of tea being poured into cups and cups being stirred. Love it.
And the entire sequence should start with a whistling kettle on the gas stove, though these days, like almost everyone, I have an electric jug that boils in no time at all.
Oh — and no re-boiled water. It tastes bad. More concentrated chlorine or whatever.
Many years ago, I interviewed Lord Tetley, or was it Twining? Some tea-toting toff, anyway. He said the water should be just off the boil for a perfect cup. Like when you make coffee in a press.
But I tend more to the rolling boil. I love that term — I can smell the tea!
We have a tea crisis looming over here at Schloss Zed: we're about to use our very last Madura Premium Blend bags, lovingly brought over from Australia on our July-August trip.
We can get Twinings and Liptons, but they're pretty ordinary when you're used to Madura. And no-one's heading this way until Dace on December 22, so what will we do until then?

Gigi Ann said...

I am a teabag girl...decafe tea sweetened with saccharine and skim milk. I only put sugar in my sweet iced tea. I love many of the herbal teas for my afternoon tea time with a cookie or two.

I liked the post today and your cup, saucer and teapot are lovely. Makes me want to get mine out of storage and use them.

Anonymous said...

I don't drink tea at all - or any other hot drink. My Pete does, but would likely be lynched by the genteel Mrs Beeton. He pops a tea bag into a cup of cold water, microwaves it for 90 seconds so that it is definitely NOT boiling, then removes the tea bag with a squeeze and adds a teaspoon of condensed milk.

Melinda said...

Mrs. Beeton will probably string me up right next to Pete. I don't drink hot tea. I boil 4 family size tea bags for 6 minutes in the microwave and let it stand for 10. Then I add 2 cups of sugar, let it dissolve and finish filling the tea pitcher with a gallon of water. Pour over ice and serve. Especially delicious with boiled peanuts.

nutmeg said...

I wish I could get shares in T2 teashop - I'm there at least once a week!

I love the whole ritual thing and like to brew mine from leaves but will have a tea bag if time is tight (where only Twinings will do - Finest eylon or English Breakfast).

My current favourite tea is Melbourne Breakfast from T2 - I love it's vanilla overtones (that sounded a bit posh!)

I remember reading somewhere that milk started to be added to tea to save on breakages of the fine china cups - the milk was put in first so the boiling water didn't directly touch the cup. This may be an "old wives tale" - I'm not sure :-)

Stacey said...

Mary - I always do the turn the pot thing.
Stomper - now I am hardly surprised that you left a comment on this subject!!
I've made my thoughts clear on tea before, but to recap - it smells like wee.

Anonymous said...

We have a newish shop named Tea & Roses in the suburb of Nedlands. It is trying to encourage the art of relaxation and a chat over a freshly brewed cup of any one of many fresh tea leaf choices on offer & served in rose china cups & saucers and glass tea pots. What a delightful find. It has a gift shop surround with unusual items to browse or buy if you want.

Anonymous said...

I love this quote: "The gentler sex are greatly given to extravagant tea-drinking, exceeding all bounds of moderation in this respect."

!!!

Guilty!

I've got my quickie Tetley tea-bag brewed cuppa ready, prior to reading this, but now that I've read this post, I'm inspired to make a full pot per the details, including the anti-clockwise turns. I completely agree with all who declare that tea should be served in bone china.

Let the extravagant tea drinking begin!