Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 1: The Sponge Bath

Many houses, and fairly sized houses too, are destitute of a bath, and if there is no room for the erection of one, or if the means for having it built are not forthcoming, it becomes necessary to see what cheap and efficient substitute can be made. A sponge bath, or large tub, with a bucket of water and a good-sized sponge, can readily be obtained, even in the most humble dwelling, and answers as well as can be wished. When the body is simply sponged over with tepid water it makes one of the mildest baths that can be taken; but those who are in ordinary health can well lather them selves over with soap and cold water, and then wash it off with some squeezes of the sponge copiously wetted with the water.
Philip E. Muskett, The Art of Living in Australia (1893)
Chapter 3 Ablution - the Skin and the Bath.
(Accessed via: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/)


The internet truly is an amazing thing. You want to know how to make 19th century damson preserves? Google it. You want to know how to bone a bodice? Google it. You want to know how to spin flax? Google it.

Thus, skills and knowledge that may have been previously locked away in dusty tomes on the shelves of libraries are now accessible to anyone, anywhere - and often come accompanied by a Youtube video tutorial.

But when it came time for me to master the ancient art of sponge-bathing, I turned my back on the copious advice available to me on the web and I decided to wing it.

I've developed my own method.

  1. I filled a basin with warm water.
  2. I washed my face with plain water, then used my cleanser and a wipe.
  3. I applied soap to a damp washcloth and lathered up all over. (One of Megan's handknitted washcloths would be perfect for this job, but alas, I have not been the lucky recipient of her washcloth largess - instead I used a regular towelling one.)
  4. I wet the second washcloth in the basin and removed the soap from my skin. I rinsed this washcloth in the basin every few seconds and didn't wring it out.
  5. The process took around five minutes from start to finish - slightly more than a four-minute shower.

I'll finesse this method over the week. For a start, I'll move the basin into the shower, as Step 4 ended up slopping soap and water all over the bathmat and the floor. And I think I may add a small jug to the equipment to pour the last of the water over my body.

I'm sincerely glad I'm not doing this challenge in the middle of winter. Even this morning it was a little chilly to be standing naked and dripping in the bathroom.

At the end of it, I felt surprisingly clean. I'm not sure I removed all the traces of soap, and I've spent the day smelling a little of Palmolive Gold...but I suspect that is better than the alternative?

Tomorrow...how much water am I actually saving?

11 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

I predict M will start frantically knitting you a washcloth tonight.

Gigi Ann said...

I always shampooed my hair myself...I remember when it came to shampooing my hair, it was always done at the kitchen sink. I bend over the sink, poured water over my hair, lathered it up with soap, or if shampoo was available I used it. To rinse, I poured warm water over it until it squeaked, then I knew the shampoo was hopefully washed out of my hair. Oh! anyone who longs for the good old days, needs to adjust their thinking...;) It is so much easier to jump in the shower...three cheers for the shower...YIPPEE! YIPPEE! YIPPEE!

Anonymous said...

Okay okay I can take a hint. I'll get onto the washcloth - not sure if it'll be ready and posted by the end of the week 'though.

Anonymous said...

BTW the bookclub girls tonight chirped in that it matters what sort of soap you use. Apparently 'olden days' soap was less soapy.

Anonymous said...

Now that is one thing that I would really prefer not to have to go back to.

Janet said...

This looks like what we call a camping wash. And brings back (not so) fond memories of the Melbourne Gas Crisis about ten years ago.

I use pears soap, which is not very sudsy. And stand on a towel. If it's cold, you do it in front of the heater (or fire I guess in the olden days - with modesty screen maybe). We also sometimes do a camping verion for slackers called an FPC (face, pits and crotch) which is, according to family lore, our forebears used to do in the country when they were only allowed a cup of water to wash in. Life was hard eh?

OK off for a hot shower.

Anonymous said...

Cor, you are brave. I am wordless except to say how much I would miss that wake up shot of water on my face and body. I'll be reading your follow up with interest.

Dee said...

So far so good hey?

Mary said...

I wonder whether you will be converted at the end of the week?

Le said...

we call this a 'cat lick' - a term my nana used when we were kids ...

my boys love the cat lick - we are in water starved Brisie so we cat lick one night, bath the next ....

the royal we here - the boys not me :) le

Lesley said...

Want my recipe for soap? It's very gentle and I used to make buckets of the stuff. I scented it with rose geranium essential oil. Gorgeous!