Sunday, June 7, 2009

Quince of darkness



"QUINCE PASTE If the full flavour of the quinces be desired, stew them sufficiently tender to press through a sieve in the prepared juice of page 456; otherwise in just water enough to about three parts cover them; when they are soft quite through lift them out, let them cool and then pass them through a sieve; reduce them to a dry paste over a very clear fire and stir them constantly; then weigh the fruit and mix it with an equal proportion of pounded sugar or sugar boiled to candy height, we find the effect nearly the same whichever method be pursued and stir the paste without intermission until it is again so dry as to quit the pan and adhere to the spoon in one large ball; press it into shallow pans or dishes; cut it as soon as cold into small squares and should they seem to require it, dry them with a very gentle degree of heat, and when they are again cold store them in tin cases with well dried foolscap paper between them: the paste may be moulded when more convenient and kept until it is wanted for table in a very dry place. In France where the fruit is admirably confected the pate de coigns or quince paste is somewhat less boiled than we have directed and dried afterwards in the sun or in an extremely gentle oven in square tin frames about an inch and a half deep placed upon clean slates"

Modern cookery for private families reduced to a system of easy practice, in a series of carefully tested receipts, in which the principles of Baron Liebig and other eminent writers have been as much as possible applied and explained By Eliza Acton, Published by Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, 1864 (via Google books)


There's been a lot of talk lately about eating local foods, and eating them seasonally. And when you do so, it creates a certain rhythm to the year: berry desserts in summer, root vegetable stews in winter, fresh shelled peas in spring.

However, the canny cook from before our time also knew that there was a rhythm to the pickling, bottling and preserving of these foods, which allowed variety on the dinner table all year round.

Tomato-sauce-making-day for instance, continues to be a tradition among some Italo-Australian families I know. Held towards the end of the summer when the tomatoes are cheap and plentiful, a day of chopping and boiling in the company of friends and family creates a store of pasta sauce to carry the family through the year ahead.

In my own family home, I remember the citrus season was marked by a day of chopping and peeling to make jars and jars of marmalade which would be consumed on toast throughout the year and also given as gifts to the less citricly-endowed (yes, I know citricly is not really a word...just indulge me.)

At this time of year in Southern Australia, the rhythm of seasonality dictates that it is quince paste making time.

This is the second year that I have made quince paste. Last year's didn't quite set like it should have, but I now have a legion of fans for my legendary "quince jam". In fact, one friend who I have given several containers to has begged that I make it in exactly the same way this year. If only it were that simple. She seems to think I have some control over the process!

Megan has already posted about her quince paste making experiences and I use the same basic recipe that she did.

One of the great delights of making quince-paste on a cold early winter's afternoon is that it gives you an excuse to loiter around the house. Oh no, I can't go out...I have to stir my quince paste. And the reward for judicious stirring is watching the fruit turn from a light flesh to a deep red colour. Made to perfection it should be as glossy and reflective as rubies.

There is a certain magic in turning a couple of kilos of furry fruit into a delicious dark treat to be enjoyed with cheese the year round, and given to friends as gifts.


What seasonal food preparation days mark your yearly calendar?

6 comments:

Frogdancer said...

Oh Alison, really!!!

It's 'citrically", not 'citricly'.

Gee, everybody knows that....

(sorry, couldn't resist)

M said...

To be honest I think Quinces may be the only seasonal food I really adhere to.

I have noticed, however, that we can't buy Australian garlic at the moment and I am loathe to by Chinese garlic.

Oh, and Pink Lady apples. Love it when Pink Lady apples are back in season.

Anonymous said...

M all the Australian garlic appears fresh in November, the stuff from storage has pretty much run out or started sprouting (and has been re-planted if it belongs to a home gardener). I have been lucky at my local locavore shop in the last few weeks, but I know those days are numbered.

We've just had a puree of frozen peas and homegrown spinach on toast with fetta. I think the real benefit of eating seasonally is that you can't get stuck in the rut of eating the same three or four veg week after week.

neighbour of mof said...

I have started making marmalade from the mof's 'orchard', I make it in small batches and find it easier to manage this way. I no longer cut the peel, but mince it up in the whizz, saves my fingers from cramping!

Mary said...

Ok _ I need to make quince paste - I bought quince to photograph them..

Now I must do something sensible with them..

Nanu said...

Black Bun is a Hogmanay "cake" made in Scotland. It's the size of a Christmas cake but is much moister, spicier and richer in fruit enclosed in a pastry case instead of icing. Although it's usually around on New Year's Eve to soak up the alcohol being so dense traditionally it's eaten on New Year's Day before or after a walk to cope with the hangover!