Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Packing for a holiday abroad



"When packing your bulk luggage, remember that it won't be available to you on the journey. Therefore, pack the items most urgently needed in a small handbag which will remain in your custody. Keep within the weight limits laid down for luggage, which, in normal circumstances, is 44lb. Don't exceed that limit unless you are prepared to pay excess."

Etiquette for Australians by Noreen Routledge (1944)

Next week, my husband, daughters and I are heading off on a plane for a holiday 'abroad'.

(Don't you just love the word abroad? It conjures images of European Grand Tours and Mediterranean sojourns, flying boats and steam trains - so much more evocative than overseas.)

Anyway, I digress. The fact is that we are journeying to another country via an aircraft. And I have started to worry about what I need to pack for three weeks which includes two cities - one of which has recently been experiencing temperatures in the high 20s, low 30s (Celsius) and the other of which hovers around 0-4 degrees for most of the day and drops below zero at night.

It's a difficult task.

So I consulted the wisdom of the past.
Noreen Routledge's Etiquette for Australians published in 1944 contains a chapter on travel by air, including a very helpful list (with weights) of suggested clothing to pack. (Click on the photo if you would like to read the list.)



Now keep in mind that this book was published in 1944. The Second World War was raging. When Singapore had fallen to Japanese forces in 1942, Qantas's thrice-weekly Australia-England flying boat services had ceased*. In 1943, Qantas (together with the British Air Ministry and BOAC) agreed to a plan to re-establish the Australia-England air link by establishing regular Catalina flying boat flights between the Swan River, Perth, and Koggala Lake, in southern Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

The single Indian Ocean hop of 5,652km was to be the longest non-stop regular passenger flight ever attempted. Navigation was by the stars to maintain radio silence near enemy aircraft and each flight was limited to only three passengers and 69kg of diplomatic and armed forces mail. The flying boats took an average of 28 hours to complete the journey. By the time the operation ended in 1945, 271 crossings carrying 648 passengers had been completed.

It's not quite the same as a 747-jumbo packed full of tourists, backpackers and business people now is it?

Throughout the War, Qantas did maintain a modest domestic schedule (a Brisbane-Darwin service and a handful of minor Queensland routes) but air travel was hardly an experience for the masses.

Which perhaps explains some of the items on Ms Routledge's list: 1 costume, 2 dinner frocks, 2 silk frocks, 2 afternoon frocks...3 pairs of gloves...1 hat box, 2 hats...

Interestingly though, after all this time, and with significant changes in the type of aircraft flown, today's baggage allowance is identical to that of 1944. Forty-four lbs (or 20kgs) is still the baggage allowance for travellers flying economy class on an international flight.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is about 15 kilograms too much to be lugging around into and out of hotels and taxis. I like to travel reasonably light. I can probably forgo the silk frocks and the hat box, but I know that in my enthusiasm to keep our suitcases light, I'm bound to leave out an essential item.

Tell me. What should I not forget to pack?


* Historical information about Qantas came from the Qantas website.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I love reading your blog "Before Our Time" It is amazing how some things never change. Like the 44 lb. luggage.

I can't help you out with what to take, because I always end up taking much, much more than I need. I say pack light, and as far as dresses, slacks and blouses, pack mix and match, that way you don't have to pack as much. Not much help am I?

Oh! another thing, carry a clean set of underwear in your carry-on bag, toothbrush, paste and such, just in case your suitcases go east and you go west. There's my helpful hint for the day. ;)

Anonymous said...

Phone & camera chargers. Now that's something Lady So&So wouldn't have had to worry about remembering to pack between her silk frocks and her costume!

Brenda said...

I doubt I could stay gone for 3 weeks, because I don't travel well. For 1 week I pack for 3 so I would be of no help here. I love your blog though, so I hope you take a laptop with you.

Anonymous said...

I'd say 3 sets of mix-n-match layerable wash and wear items (so you don't have to iron anything), so for the cold place you can add sweaters/jumpers/hoodies and remove them when hot. And that will give you many combinations of outfits. I'd try to limit the shoes to one comfy pair that goes with everything, unless you need to be prepared for something swanky, in which case check those stilletos! And the essential electronics - chargers/batteries/usb cables/phones/laptop/earbuds etc... Plus, things to keep the kids occupied. Puzzle books maybe.

How fun! A trip!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know what you DO pack. It's a struggle for me, packing or traveling light. I want to take my wardrobe, which of course is not sensible. Please consider sharing your own 'I must have' list?

Stomper Girl said...

After my weekend away I would say don't forget to have the camera memory card actually IN the camera before you leave, instead of uselessly in the computer after a download.

As for what to wear, if you pack as though you're going to Melbourne you should be fine, surely?

Anonymous said...

Do not forget some lip balm. It is the first thing I buy at my new destination every time I travel. I never remember to pack it, but I always need it. (Take it on the plane with you, it's really dry on the plane)

nutmeg said...

Just don't pck your most precious jewellry in your big bag that goes in the hold, so when it disappears for a couple of days you won't worry too much about it! (It was my first overseas trip and I was a COMPLETE novice.)

Anyway, something I have learned is that there are usually shops most places you go so if you forget something you can always buy it there! (Essential advice for panicky packing types like myself.)

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Mary said...

Camera charger for sure as Megan said.

Comfy shoes for sure as Sueess said ( and I bought them in black and managed to go to a 3 michelin star restaurant in them !!)

No accessories - buy them overseas. Ditto make up.

No scissors tweezers etc in the carryon (twice I have been caught out by manicure sets).

I wore smart yoga type pants on the plane and a long dress (both black)- very comfy, looked smart too.

Clothes were mostly black.. Dang it - now I can't remember - do you wear black or not wear black? Anyway charcoal would be just as good...

Anonymous said...

Ear plugs.

or if you have issues with ear pain during take off and landing then the "Ear Planes" are handy.

But mostly ear plugs, handy for in flight and also sleeping in strange places with unfamiliar noises.

I've also had it suggested to me that as a parent of small children I should hand out ear plugs to my fellow passengers when traveling by plane. Much as I'd love to do that my hands are usually full keeping the little darlings from kicking the seat in front and killing each other.

Lesley said...

Your suitcase, after it has left you, will travel on its top, with its wheels in the air. So pack anything delicate well inside. And don't lock it — the US transport security people will just break it open if your case wins a random search. Don't forget Australia-US adaptors for your chargers.
Fashion-wise, California is way more laidback, dated and scruffy than Australia, even Los Angeles. Wealthy yes; sophisticated no. And in New York the other week, absolutely everyone was wearing black. And while it was chilly outdoors there, it was stifling and stuffy indoors and in the stores — and like a furnace on the Subway — so make sure you can peel off layers.
Oh have a wonderful time!

Lesley said...

PS: Take your own deodorant: American ones don't work and leave white stains on everything!