Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Line drying your clothes: Could you go dryer free?

Before our time electric clothes dryers were not commonplace in the average middle class home. Our forebears had to master the art of drying their clothes in all types of weather.

At the beginning of winter I embarked on a challenge to forego the electric clothes dryer in lieu of line drying all my laundry, not as an overt environmental statement, although that is a valid reason, but to understand the impact on our family of letting go of a modern convenience. Some of you may line dry your clothes all year 'round but for a laundry-hater like me this was a real challenge.

In the US around 60 million people are unable to hang their laundry on outside lines due to Homeowner Association rules prohibiting this practice. The notion is that on-view laundry affects property values and many view the requirement to line dry as a mark of poverty. This has spawned a “Right to Dry” movement with homeowners flouting the rules to hang their washing.

Here in Australia few homeowners face these restrictions. We also live in a mostly laundry-friendly climate with plenty of sunshine and few places experiencing extremes of cold, and yet we love our tumble-dryers.

mmm...there won't be a Vogue Living shoot at my house anytime soon...

Tumble dryers are a convenience designed to make life easier but does line-drying make my life harder? Until this challenge I would've described myself as a wet-weather user of the dryer and I would often throw socks and underwear in the dryer because they're fiddly to hang.

It would be easy to start this challenge in high summer but to get the real feel of the lives of our forebears I started this challenge on the first day of winter. To further test my resolve it rained on consistently for first two weeks.

Hanging the sheets indoors was a challenge to my senses and my creativity.

For the two weeks of rain and for most of the winter I hung all my washing indoors on clothes racks over heating vents, on hangers from an un-used curtain rod in the dining room and sheets were draped on a portable hanging robe that I use when we have guests to stay. I have never been more aware of the weather in my life, or the amount of laundry my family goes through a week.

However, at the end of the challenge I would have to say that, despite the weather, it was not difficult. Sure the house took on the appearance of a Laundromat and sure my daughter couldn’t have her favourite jeans RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE, but I found that I started to take notice of how we wore our clothes, to question what was really dirty and what could be sponged down. I did not find it acceptable for the kids to wear pyjamas once only. And I found that damp clothes make for an excellent humidifier in the home (I got good at looking at the positives).

"Doing the laundry is still a hated chore, but no more so than when I used the dryer more often"

We make the mistake, I think, of assuming that the dryer is a quicker option for busy couples and families however I felt it was quicker to hang the washing than to line it up, load by load, for the dryer.

Line-drying did, however, increase the total laundry cycle time. I couldn’t expect my laundry to be washed, dried, folded and put away within the day. But then I couldn’t find a compelling reason why my washing had to be completed within 24 hours. Once I accepted that the laundry cycle could be 3 days, not 1, I relaxed and it made no difference.

Line-drying is so much easier to support when the sun is out!

Now that Spring is here I am hanging my washing outside again. I just love the smell of sun-dried clothes.

What about all you busy people? My question is – does hanging your clothes really take longer than queueing them for the dryer? I found not. But if laundry drying on racks in wet weather is not your idea of a hot design statement you may struggle with the concept on that basis alone.

I have been mostly dryer-free now for four months. In that time I have used the dryer only a few times. I'm no saint, I'm tempted to dry off the sheets on cool days, but I've changed my previous habits and I feel better for it. The laundry is still a hated chore but no more so than when I used the dryer more often.

Have you tried to go dryer free? Do you never use the dryer? Do you have nifty techniques to get your clothes dry in unpleasant weather?

Tell me your stories at beforeourtime [at] bigpond [dot] com. I'll publish the best advice in a future post.




Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Alison said...

I belong to the "laundry drying on racks in wet weather is not your idea of a hot design statement" school of thought. I'll tolerate one rack in the corner of one room, but after that I start to get nervous. I really need a whole room that I could close the door to, devoted to drying on racks for this to be an option, (and that isn't going to happen!) In fine weather I'm happy to use the outside line.

M said...

I'd like a big laundry with those racks that lower from the ceiling. That is a room you can close the door on...

Gigi Ann said...

Thanks for your visit. When I was younger before I had a dryer, I hung my clothes out in summer and in my house in winter. I had clothes lines strung in the upstairs of my house to hang clothes in winter. But oh, how nice when I got my dryer for winter time drying. I had 5 children so the dryer came in handy in winter, but I still hung my clothes out in summer. Now everything goes in the dryer. Much quicker and I can do other things (like blog) while the clothes dry.;)

gramma ann

Anonymous said...

"Electric clothes dyer"????

How many colours do you want to change?

(Hahaha! First line of the post...)

Due to extreme poverty, and also that hanging the clothes on the line is one of the few chores I actually enjoy, my dRyer only gets used when someone needs a particular item dried immediately.

The problem I have, whether line dried or tumble dried, is that we rarely sort our clothes straight away. Socks-and-jocks diving in the laundry baskets in the kitchen happens nearly every day. *sigh*

Lesley said...

May I just comment on your hanging method — judging by the accompanyong photograph?
Hang your sheets by the hemmed edges, folded in half. That way (a) you do not have horrible line marks in the middle of your sheets, and (b) when you unpeg them, the first fold is done for you, ready for you to fold further and put away.

Stomper Girl said...

I rarely (ie once a year) use our dryer, it is purely for emergency back-up. I think the fact that we have a big old Hills Hoist in the middle of our backyard (rather than the skimpier but neater fold away line on the side of the house) helps me with achieving my maximum potential for line drying. And also that I do not have a Gloria Soame (glorious home) so I don't feel its aesthetics are compromised by laundry racks in front of the heater.

Having read this back I realise economics are a driving force for my habits - el cheapo rental home, can't afford big electricity bills etc.

Anonymous said...

Some winters I have thought how nice it would be to have a dryer "just for sheets and towels" but have never thought seriously about owning one, it's just something I would never buy and I don't know why that is, just something we can live without. We are used to the house looking like a Chinese laundry I guess and I try to keep the wet washing as neat as possible. I hang out towels and sheets knowing the they will be there at least 24 hours to dry in winter. It just takes a little planning, and yes definately if my kids throw something in the wash that took 2 days to dry and it is not dirty, I give it back to them to wear again!! I love hanging washing out on a nice day, and if it's sunny AND windy I actually rush to do it and get it out!! Am I crazy? I am definately not obessive about housework and washing, but not having a dryer is just the norm for me! LOVE your new site, it's wonderful!!!

LBA said...

I've discussed this over at Mrs Washalot. We do not own a drier, and I refuse to.

That said, I also hate the Chinese Laundry look, so it can be a problem in deepest winter. Like Linda ... I think one for the sheets and towels would be nice then, but it's a fleeting thought..

Stacey said...

I'm definitely in Stomper's school of emergency use only of the dryer.
I have one of those clothes racks on wheels that usually lives in the dining room, over an air vent. The beauty of the wheels is that it can be quickly whisked out of site if we have company for dinner.
It also makes an excellent game for the boys - the ride the laundry rack down the hall game.
In overload situations, the dining chairs become extra racking space too.

Megan said...

I can't help but think how different this discussion would be with more input from our US friends where line-drying is not the norm.

I applaud everyone who refuses to use the dryer! It gives me the incentive to keep going with my challenge.

Megan said...

Oh and Frogdancer! You'll be glad to see I fixed the typo - no more electric clothes dying!

Mary said...

We have discussed this before where I have said that living in mist and rain so much of the time makes the drier a necessity.

Having said that I have to admit that I am now (as a result of our discussion) more conscious of the amount of washing that goes in the dryer and am keen to get a new foldaway line too.

And a vege garden. And a couple of chooks.

Anonymous said...

I'm from the US, and while I somehow managed to find a home outside the grasp of a homeowner's association, and while I love the idea of line drying, and the smell of sun dried clothes, I'm a full on tumble dryer in practice. It rains most of the year around here, so that's one lame excuse, and we live on a busy street with much traffic, so it would seem that clothes might end up with an extra coating of grime if left to dry outdoors (but that's speculation). If I had a drying room where the door could be closed, I'd be much more inclined to hang dry indoors. Other reasons not to dry outdoors - my husband who lived in Missouri for a time said that they line dried, but had terrible trouble with wasps and bugs getting in and on the clothes. Now that would freak me out, so one more excuse not to line dry!

I do have very fond memories of line drying in the summer as a kid. We had one of those ancient open top washing machines with the roller press (don't get your hand stuck - I did that once) that did a fantastic job, and sun dried clothes smelled divine.

p.s. I'm enjoying this blog! Blue Mountains Mary sent me...

Anonymous said...

Never having owned a dryer (or lived in a house with someone who did) I guess I dont know what I'm missing. One thing I've noticed is my friends who have dryers tend to have less of each item than I do. For example, they survive with only 2 sets of sheets, because the turn around can be so quick and not dependent on weather. Whereas I need at least 3 sets as what if it rains for 2 weeks and I cant dry them outside? same for towels.
Now I have a baby (who is partially cloth nappied) any visitors are aware they may be used as a clothes horse if they stand still for too long.

Anonymous said...

I lione dried the laundry for the first 10 years or so of marriage and still do unless it is particularly wet for days on end.

Anonymous said...

I had a dryer for a little while, I was living in a damp and tiny flat in a Melbourne winter. I only used the dryer once in six months, so when I moved out I didn't take it with me. I love my clothes horses.

If I have three full clothes horses then no one is allowed to create more dirty washing til the last lot is dry. One does spot clean. I suspect the dryer isn't so much a time saver but a work increaser. If you perceive the job as quick you end up washing everything more often.

I've only got two sets of sheets, for the record, and our outdoor line isn't high up enough to accommodate them. They dry inside, beside the window or the heater. My loungeroom isn't a show piece, but it is much quieter than it would be if I turned on a dryer. I wouldn't object to a line in a garage or under a verandah though, I think that would be cool in winter.

Oh, and sock and undies aren't fiddly to hang! They're toddler-sized hanging opportunities.

Melinda said...

Here I am! Second American to comment (I think). Inspired by Megan, I began using the line-drying method. But I don't do it exclusively. I tend to air dry the sheets, underwear, PJ's towels, etc. and wash the everyday wear. Which makes for about 50/50 rack/electric dryer split.

I grew up with a clothes line and know exactly how to clothes pin them so shirts don't stretch, sheets are wrinkle-free, etc. I don't have a clothes line now, but I do use the drying rack. I've pondered having Rob put up a line, but our puppy would make short work of our outdoor laundry. She is quite the jumper and has already destroyed some door decorations at the Mother-in-law's house.