Monday, September 29, 2008

Blue Monday: A revolutionary idea?

The laundry maid should commence her labours on Monday morning by careful examination of the articles in her care.” I. Beeton The Book of Household Management, S.O. Beeton 1861

Do you know, I really dislike doing the laundry.

I dislike Supermarket shopping more, but laundry comes a close second. If you believe all the advertisements for washing machines and washing powders you’d think that washing was the happiest task on earth. Why then do I feel that washing is a never ending chore and why is my house always covered in laundry detritus?

Before our time when washing clothes and linens required lighting a fire under the copper and hand-scrubbing with bar soap, Monday was most likely to be wash-day. Wash-day was probably assigned to Monday because the arduousness of a wash-day meant that it was best held after Sunday, the day of rest, and in larger houses the whole laundry process from hamper to wardrobe may have taken a week.

Today it is rare to hear of families who follow a strict Monday washday routine, or any laundry routine at all, although I’m sure there are still some who do. Automatic washing machines enable us to do loads of laundry whenever we have a spare moment and we do not have to hang around waiting while the washing is completed. But with all our automation I wonder are we doing more laundry than ever? Has technology led to a false economy? Do we wash too much, and too often?
"Unless you have six kids, or run a hotel, you shouldn't need to wash everyday."

Until four months ago I washed everyday. Or whenever I remembered. I had no real routine. I wondered whether I could return to a single washday. After thinking about my week I felt that it might be possible to spread my washing over two days; one primary wash day, and one ‘overflow’ day. Even to do this I would also need to substantially reduce my washing pile and remind my “Tween-aged” daughter that clothes could be worn for more than five-minutes before being put in the washing pile.

I started this new routine four months ago. The family have had to learn to plan ahead to ensure they will have the clothes they need on certain days and I insist that everyone wears their clothes for longer before they are washed. The biggest struggle I've had is having enough line space to hang out all the loads in one day (I have also been going without the dryer, but that's another story).

Restricting the number of days I wash has revolutionised my week. Really. A much-hated chore now only happens on two days, not seven. The very act of being conscious of the process of washing means I am more in control of it and it no longer feels like it is in control of me.

Put your automatic machine to work for you, not tie you to your laundry. Unless you have six kids, or run a hotel you shouldn't need to wash everyday. Wash less, it'll revolutionise your week.




4 comments:

Alison said...

I try to restrict my main washing to a couple of days (towels and general clothing on a Wednesday, sheets on a Friday) but the bit that trips me up is the gym clothes. What do you do with sweaty gym and sports clothes between wash days? Should I have a lidded soaking bucket for them?

Megan said...

The days I set aside to wash take into consideration the days that we go to the gym/pilates/for a run etc. I say just get a reaaallly deep laundry hamper and put them at the bottom. Or soak them, if you can be bothered with that sort of thing :-)

Sharyn said...

Okay, I'll admit to being all over the place with the way I tackle our washing. Some days the machine goes non stop, and yet if I leave it for a few days there seems to be a mountain to wash. I've been moaning about this to the family for a while, so maybe the time has come to implement a stricter schedule and see if we can change our ways?

LBA said...

I wash twice a week, and I will not do a wash unless I have a full load for either coloured/whites or towels etc.

But then, i'm very frugal about water wastage, running taps, and recycling water .. so in effect I *do* have to be around on washdays, so I can bucket all the runoff onto the garden.