Friday, January 23, 2009

Book Blasts from the Past

While visiting Mum in Western Australia last week I came across this amongst her cookery books. A cookbook put together by the local Anglican Ladies' Guild. The book is undated but likely to date from about 1964.

I was looking for a quick and easy banana cake recipe. Mrs P. Webb, a relative by marriage, submitted this one.

I needed this book, distributed in 1966, to work out the measures.


And I loved the little advertising gems.

Imagine, five pounds to install your hot water system. Lucky you indeed. Mathematicians out there - how much is this in today's dollars?

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I have a collection of cook books as well, many older than this one. I love to collect old magazines and catalogs, just for the ads. It is fun to see what the price of things were many years ago.

Anonymous said...

These cookbooks are little gems - tried and true recipes. I have one compiled by the York Anglicans about the same time.(It must have been the "in" thing at that time.) I often refer to it for ways to use an abundance of garden produce.

Melinda said...

It must have been a global thing. I have two church ladies guild cookbooks and one garden club cookbook from the 1960's. The ladies are always listed as Mrs. J.G. Hall, or by their maiden and married names (only in a small town)... Mrs. Lytell Stripling Turner.... But the recipes are fab. No low-fat/low-sugar/low-carb in any of them!

Gigi Ann said...

I have been married for 50 years and still use the cookbook my Mother-in law gave me many years ago. It is all stained up, but the recipes are simple and easy to make. When I got married I couldn't cook to well and was always pestering my Mother-in-law as how to fix this or that. So finally she presented me with this cookbook and I love it and her for giving it to me. I have many of the lady's guild cookbooks also. Any help I can get, I grab it!

BTW, there is an award waiting for you at my blog: http://annsquotesandthings.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!

Ann