Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Boiled eggs and spam

Spam (n): unsolicited marketing e-mail communication distributed to a large number of e-mail addresses.


There was once a time when the word 'Spam' had little to do with e-mail and the Internet. Spam was instead just the brand name of a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
Spam belongs to a range of canned meats (including Hamper's Camp Pie and Bully Beef) that have the reputation of sustaining generations from the Great Depression right through the Second World War and the post-war rationing and are still consumed the world over today.
In fact, Spam is often credited with 'winning the war' as it was part of the ration-packs for American GIs and Allied forces during World War II.
Spam is made of a few simple ingredients: ham, pork, sugar, salt, water, a little potato starch, and some sodium nitrite (which helps to keep the pink colour - without it Spam would be grey).
Spam was first created in 1937, and since then over 6 billion cans of it have been sold world-wide. The Spam we get on the supermarket shelves here in Australia is canned in factories in the USA. There are also factories in Denmark, the Philippines and South Korea.
I've always shied away from even the idea of Spam. I treat any food that claims to be able to last forever with a little suspicion.
Information on the Hormel Foods Spam website suggests that, "As long as no air gets into the can, the vacuum sealed goodness inside will be as delicious and safe as the day it was made. It’s like meat with a pause button."

But, I know that before our time, many, many people grew up eating and enjoying Spam, so I set myself the task of trying it out.

When I mentioned my plans to other people, their reactions fell into two camps:

a) EEeeeeewww. Why would you want to eat that? (anyone younger than about 50)

b) Oh! Spam! That takes me right back. We used to have it... [insert description of how it was served in their homes]

My Dad had particularly enthusiastic memories of how Spam was eaten in his family home in Scotland in the 1950s, and talked me through recreating the experience.

The Spam was sliced finely.


And was served with a fresh garden salad consisting of lettuce, sliced tomato and boiled eggs with mayonnaise on the side. In his family's case, the lettuce and the eggs were home-grown.

A friend popped in while I was in the process of serving up the Spam.

"No, no." he declared. "You need to fry the Spam. That's the way we always had it."

So I ventured both ways.

The end result was certainly palatable, not nearly as bad as I had feared - although I think I preferred the fried option to the fresh.

Dad recalled that Spam and salad was served as a quick summer meal in his home, and I can see that with some cans of Spam in the cupboard and a small vegetable garden, you could easily whip up a reasonably nutritious meal in minutes.

During the Second World War, and into the post-war period in Britain when fresh meat was difficult to come by, canned meats definitely had their place. By canning meats in countries that had greater supplies, a valuable source of protein and nutrition could be transported huge distances with no need for refrigeration. There was also no need for the meat to be refrigerated in the shops, or the home.

I, like many others of my generation however, have been fortunate enough to grow up with ready access to fresh supplies of most foods...and I take refrigeration for granted. We therefore see items such as canned meats to be more of a 'camping' source of food - the type of supply you would take if you went outback with no power sources.

I can't say that canned meats will be appearing regularly on my dinner table, but they could. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

What is your experience of Spam?

Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Mary said...

I am pretty sure fried spam was part of Dad's egg combo that he used to make us.

Dee said...

We used to have fried spam as kids. Cold, all I remember is the icky jelly from it. I am surprised its still available in shops nowadays. I guess there is a market for it somewhere.

neighbour of mof said...

Is Spam the same as Camp Pie? I remember eating it as a kid in the 50s. We also had salad with it. Also the sad story my mother told of her sister only being able to afford camp pie for her family for Christmas Dinner. My mother was so upset, because she didn't know until many years later.

Anonymous said...

I used to work for the organisation that ran the Caravan Camping and Touring Shows in Victoria. Remember the year Hormel Foods booked a stand to sell SPAM to the masses (well the camping and caravaning masses).

I was surprised at how tasty it was.

I have fond memories of tinned hotdogs that mum used to serve up when we lived in Nigeria. Tried them a few years back and :ick: seems my taste buds have changed or memory has made the taste better than it was.

Anonymous said...

We also had Spam both cold and fried. I think I preferred it fried. Yes, Dee from Downunder, I think it was the "icky jelly" that put me off it cold. We also had it with salad from the garden and eggs from our chickens.

Brenda said...

I had forgotten all about Spam. We had it fried and sliced cold as sandwich meat. We had it so often, I can't believe I forgot about it. We also had canned tamales and vienna sausages and potted meat. I think the reason we had so much canned meat was because of the cheap price and non spoilage it provided for a family of seven.
It was fine as a necessity and no other choice, but if I had to eat it now, I think I would pass. Unless I was starving that is, and then it would be a feast.

Stacey said...

I'm a spam virgin and I am happy to keep it that way. All talk of icky jelly has sealed the deal.

Gigi Ann said...

I remember Spam. My Mother fried it and had it with our meals as the meat dish. We were very poor, and with 9 mouths to feed it came in handy some of the time. It was not served often so it was alright once in a while. But, my mother was a very good cook and she made everything taste great.

Anonymous said...

I am SO ashamed to tell you that there is probably spam in my pantry right now. The males of my household sometimes have it on a wrap as a weekend treat. The girls of my household make them sit on the other couch - away from us - while they are eating it. I doubt they've ever fried it. That sounds like hard work.

Have you got anything without spam?
Well... there's spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and eggs.

Alison said...

Neighbour of Mof - Camp Pie is similar to Spam in that it is also a canned meat...but from what I understand it is beef and mutton based, while Spam is ham and pork.

Dee from Downunder - canned meats are most definitely still in the shops. I didn't realise until I went looking for them...but there was a huge amount of shelf-space at my local supermarket devoted to canned meats. Check it out!

Marita - I remember those tinned mini sausages too! My brother and I used to *love* to open a tin and dig in! I wonder if he remembers?

Stomper Girl said...

I think I've eaten it because the icky jelly is ringing bells in my subconscious, but I'm definitely in the Eeeeeeeeeeewww why would you want to eat that? camp these days.

Lesley said...

If I'd ever been asked to take part in one of those memes where you had to list five really weird things about you, one of them would have been that I love Spam.
I had lots of Spam sandwiches for school lunches in England, and in Australia too.
My intake is now down to about one can every three years, but I still love it. It tastes really good.
It's not the best food in the world, but Spam is okay.

Lesley said...

Oh — and I meant to tell you that whenever I'm checking the contents of my spam box on g-mail, google provides ads with Spam recipes. I think that's wild!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I'm glad it was your turn to try out the before.our.time ingredient! Bleh.

I have a feeling Spam is still really big in PNG - we have a tin of PNG Spam in the pantry that my husband was given as part of a successful conclusion to a deal or trip up there...

LBA said...

Dog Food.

pass.

Titania and Jane said...

Obviously growing up in a "European Australian" family in the 70s we had our SPAM drizzled with lemon juice and oregano and served with a feta, tomato and lettuce salad!! Would not eat it in a pink fit today - I remeber loving it in the 70s.

Anonymous said...

Chiming in well after the post: years, in fact! Just the other day, out of sheer curiosity, I bought a tin of Hamper Camp Pie. It is like meat paste, much less solid than Spam. It doesn't taste very nice by itself, but you can use it as a spread in a sandwich.

Anonymous said...

hey, our mate Annie says it is on special at Coles this week (from the posts, it is looking like only Aussies think this is a joke!!)

Anonymous said...

I'm Canadian and grew up (in the 1940s to 60s) with a Spam-like product called Prem. We ate it grilled or not, often in sandwiches. It was delicious, including the "icky jelly".

My husband visited a family in Russia, in 1992, and noticed an empty Prem can, in pride of place, on a window sill. The family said donated Prem from Canada saved them from sure starvation during WW2.

If you MUST have more info about Prem, Spam, etc. here's a rude (but fairly entertaining, with recipes) site:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=187965

As varous posters point out, hot dogs and corned beef are not so different from Spam and its cousins.

We weren't poor (quite the opposite) but always had these on hand, as well as tall cans containing a whole chicken (and lots of yummy, icky gel). I really miss those canned chickens--haven't seen them for years.


Shirley Butler said...

I loved camp pie in a sandwich with tomato sauce and also with mash potato and now its gone from the supermarket shelves..lm gonna miss it so much...didnt have it often but when l did l enjoyed it...