Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wisdom on Wednesday: Theodore Geisel


Following on from the theme of Wisdom on Wednesday last week, I think this Dr Seuss quote sums up many of our feelings at this time of the year!

In our household, the calendar seems to go: August - September - December. October and November may as well not exist as they flash past in an instant.

And then, when December arrives we suddenly realise that all the things that we had planned to do before December haven't been done!

I often wonder if this a universal feeling or one particular to the Southern hemisphere where everything (schools, dancing studios, sporting clubs etc) operates on a calendar year? Plus, here in Australia lots of families take holidays during January, so there is an impetus in the workplace to get things done before Christmas.


Does everything rush to the end of the calendar year in your part of the world?




3 comments:

The Mof said...

You have hit the nail on the head when you say the race to Christmas here is because everything is ending in December.
In Europe schools and organisations finish midyear and holidays are usually July, August and September so Christmas stands alone and can be enjoyed without all the manic rush of events we have here.
Although I don't like the practice of "Christmas in July" parties here I can see the merit of a relaxed enjoyable event.

Gigi Ann said...

I always think each year flies by faster than the year before. Although I have fulfilled my goal of reading 100+ books this year, which I never did before. Maybe, that is why this year flew by so quickly.

Nanu said...

What Mof said about Europe is true but it still seemed to be an absolute hectic manic time trying to fit everything in so much so I was always absolutely exhausted when I was teaching young children and even when our own were long past that stage that it sickened me so much and forever that now I try to get away with as little as possible. Or is just that I'm sos much older and therefore have less energy and enthusiasm having "done all that"?!!!