Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tips from the archives: Handling good china


"Always allow good china to cool after being washed in hot water and before stacking the pieces together. Prevents glaze from cracking."
The New Idea, 7 October 1959, p.44

The glazes used on everyday crockery now are a lot more durable than those from before our time, but reading this tip from the archives made me wonder whether there are some 'rules' that apply to putting china into the dishwasher today.

I checked our dishwasher manual, and it says that most modern china patterns are dishwasher safe. As most dishwashers operate with water heated to somewhere between 40 and 70 degrees C, modern crockery is designed to withstand the heating and cooling without damage. Heating the water to these levels helps to dissolve the stains and also disinfects the dishes.

However, the manual also states that antique items, hand-painted china, items with patterns painted over the glaze or ones with gold rims, may be more sensitive to machine washing, and that if there is any doubt to wash them by hand.

Interestingly, the manual also says not to empty the dishwasher immediately after washing. It recommends opening the door slightly to allow steam to escape and waiting until the dishes are warm to the touch before unloading.  In a  modern day update to today's tip from the archives, this is not to save the glaze from cracking, but to ensure that the dishes are dried properly.

Do you have any china-handling habits to share?





4 comments:

Nanu said...

Yes, take more care than me. I have more damages from breakages than the dishwasher. I do find I can handle them more quickly, though, if I open the door right down and pull the drawers right out to let the steam escape instantly en masse. I've never, ever had good china so never learnt how to care for it so no, sorry, no tips to pass on.

The Mof said...

When I was choosing good china in a top shop in Edinburgh in the 60's the proprietor told me never to dry good china with a teatowel - just wash in hot soapy water, rinse in very hot water and let drain and air dry. Don't use the good china much these days but when I do I follow his advice.

Melinda said...

Never, ever use the good china?

Kidding. Mine has a silver rim so I hand wash it in warm, but not hot, water. I air dry too. But that has more to do with laziness than benefit to the china.

Brenda said...

Unfortunately I do not own any good china. I was always afraid if I had it... I would be too afraid to use it.