Saturday, April 18, 2009

Things my elders taught me: sewing

Today, we're pleased to hand-over the reins of the blog to one of our Before Our Time readers - Auntie 4 Letter - in what we hope is the first of a series of posts on the wisdom and skills we've learnt from our elders (parents, grandparents, teachers, friends...). We're sure each of you has something you could share with us. Please email on beforeourtime@bigpond.com to be added to the schedule! - Megan and Alison.


Many people and events have influenced me over the years but one who really stands out for giving me a life skill and a love that I still use today is the lady who gave me my first sewing tips.

Around the age of 12 or 13 our school introduced a summer dress and since my parents were sending three of us into private school in Edinburgh to be educated I was told that if I wished one, I had to make it myself.

Off we went to purchase the pattern and the material required and home we came to study how to put this into action. Our sewing machine was an old Singer treadle machine which, fortunately for me, also had a handle as all I could make it do was go backwards! I could never master the action to get that forward movement, yet Mum had no difficulties.

Having read and reread the instructions, the dining room table was extended and the fabric laid out ready for action. The size was chosen, cut out, and the pattern placed on the fabric and I stood back to look at my achievement having no idea if I had done this correctly or not. I wasn’t game to put scissors to fabric!

Visitors arrived that afternoon –Esme, a family friend must have known I needed her. When she saw what I was doing she immediately offered her friendly advice. She quickly pointed out a few basic things that I had read about but did not realise how important they were:

  • Fabric – fold in half lengthwise, pull diagonally if slightly off the square and refold

  • Grain line – measure from grain line to edge of fabric - this assures the garment will hang straight

  • Place all pieces in the same direction, if possible, but close together

  • Pin at regular intervals

  • Place hand flat on pattern piece when cutting out

  • Do not move fabric when cutting, move yourself around the table

  • Don’t ignore the notches, snip or notch out, as these help you put it together

  • Mark all dots and darts with threads to help in the making

I was then left to it but told to contact her if any more help was needed. The dress was sewn together and, believe it or not, able to be worn to school. The seed had been sewn and from then on many shopping sprees to the fabric shop in Edinburgh were duly undertaken.

During high school, I was taught sewing. We were lucky enough to be taught all the basics - attaching collars and waistbands, setting in sleeves, sewing on buttons and making button holes etc. While attending teacher training college I was introduced to tailoring and so the solid foundations were laid.

When I look back now at some of the creations I made in the early years I shudder to think what I looked like sometimes when I walked out the house. The creation with smocking across the bust...! The straight skirt that was pretty tight and made of fabric out of the cupboard which nearly fell apart as I wore it as the material was so old...!

Then again there are some dresses I have made in later years I am quite proud of!

One of Auntie 4-Letter's proudest creations - a bridal gown,
as modelled by her niece-in-law, Goto, on her wedding day.

Over the years I have made many things using a variety of fabrics and even took myself off to TAFE to learn how to tailor and pattern draft. There I picked up invaluable evening wear tips. This was a very interesting experience and allowed me to perfect a great many of my skills.

Thank you Esme for the encouragement and knowledge you gave me early on which has led to a great deal of joy and frustration throughout my life.


There’s nothing Auntie 4 Letter can’t make with a sewing machine. She lives in Perth, Western Australia and tailors fine evening wear and bridal gowns, as well as running a school uniform shop. If she had a blog, we'd link to it...but she's only just mastered a Blogger log-on ID. She prefers washing up to drying.

    9 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    A very important skill to share. I hope there are lots of fabric shops in your local area Aunty Four Letter. Plenty of places with beautiful fabrics.

    the mof said...

    Having been the recipient of some of Auntie 4 Letter's creations I can attest to the quality of her work. She obviously took heed of all she learned from her elders.

    I'm willing to be dragged round all the fabric shops!!

    Megan said...

    I read through all the tips Auntie 4 Letter got from Esme, nodding my head at each one. Esme was a great source of inspiration but Auntie clearly had the innate talent to put it all together. This I know because, over the years, I have seen many of her amazing creations.

    I love that Auntie 4 Letter could make her own school dress. Such sensible times. Imagine turning up to a private school today in a version of the uniform you had sewn yourself!

    Goto said...

    My Nana tried to teach me how to sew, but being a very impatient person I never progressed past tracksuit pants. But given my lifestyle now with two young boys, they would come in very handy.

    I can vouch for the many many hours Auntie 4 Letter put into my wedding dress, she is a perfectionist!

    persiflage said...

    Oh bravo! Even though I have abandoned any efforts to sew things, I still wish I could do it. How greatly we need good teachers and lots of encouragement. Being shown is so fundamental to good learning.

    Anonymous said...

    what a lovely post

    gemma @ loz and dinny said...

    This is such a lovely post ... having recently got the sewing bug - I know it has come from watching my mum put together countless outfits for me... she was an impatient teacher when I was a teenager but now is an endless source of wisdom and advice. Such a gift to make your niece's beautiful wedding gown - so enjoyed reading this one xx

    neighbour of mof said...

    Auntie 4 letter, I have seen and heard about all your creations, now its my turn to receive your creativity as you will try to draft a pattern for me from a much loved design shirt/top of my daughters!

    Ronnie said...

    How timely this post. Although how lat am I reading it?

    My 15 year old is doing senior Home Ec and had to make a dress. With the (dare I say it) teachers help Angela chose a pattern from the 1950's. That's fine. I asked if all the pieces were there and Ange said they were. They were to finish the garment in the Easter school holidays. When Ange asked me to show her what to do next I was more than happy to help until I had a look. No notches, no facings, no dots marked, no interfacing. The back neck facing had been drawn up by the teacher, pity it didn't fit the back neck, no darts marked out.

    I asked Angela how she sewed the darts in without having them marked and she said Miss H had done it for her and had been telling her what to do. How I don't know. I asked Ange if she knew how to read a pattern. No. I aksed did she know anything at all about sewing. No. I asked what she had done for sewing last year. Oh nothing. The decorated bra's and made something out of recyclable material.

    Talk about spinning heads. I am going to the school about this. The only positive to come of it is it has reignited my love of my sewing machine.