Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Is 40 the new 25?


I turn 40 years old later today. (Yes, you can leave your birthday greetings in the comments box below...all gratefully received. Cheques attached especially valued...!)

Anyway, in the past few weeks I've thought quite a bit about what it means to turn 40. Am I past it? Am I over the hill? Am I...dare I say it...middle-aged?

In a timely and opportune moment, I spied a small article in The Age newspaper last week which showed that an Australian woman aged 40 is likely to have 44.8 years of life remaining (unfortunately, the on-line version of this article doesn't contain the graphic I refer to) although the article highlighted the sobering prediction that these longer than ever lifespans are also more likely to end in Alzheimer's disease.

Of course, one never knows what lies ahead, but with an average life expectancy for Australian women into their 80s I conclude that 40 is not even the half-way point.

So then I discovered some of the life expectancy calculators at various financial planning websites (I'll let you google those for yourself if you are interested: 'life expectancy calculators') and based on my responses to the various questions asked, was given an age into the 90s.

Which is a big contrast to women's lives before our time.

My great-great-grandmother was born in 1825 in a small Scottish village overlooking the valley of the River Forth. By the time she turned 40, she was married, had moved to another village just nine miles away and had given birth to her seventh child, a girl who was named after her mother.

Just over two years later in 1866, that child died. My great-great-grandmother was to give birth at home one more time, to another daughter (also named after her) and although the baby survived the delivery my great-great-grandmother did not. The cause given on her death certificate is exhaustion after delivery (8 hours).

The baby died two weeks later of atrophy.

It makes you appreciate the advances in medical science, now doesn't it?

So at 40, my great-great-grandmother was nearing the end of her life, a life which had possibly been confined to an extremely small geographic area. A life without electricity, or telephones, or television, or (gasp!) the internet. A life in which advancements like aeroplanes, motor cars and space exploration wouldn't have been even dreamt of. A life in which there were no antibiotics to combat infections, and diseases such as smallpox were still prevalent (another of my great-great-grandmothers died of smallpox in 1872 in Glasgow). A life in which a lot about the world just wasn't understood (another great-great-grandmother died from lead poisoning before she was 40 from the water she drank running off lead-laden hills).

Most importantly, it was a life in which women were much more limited in their choices than we are today.

Compared with life before our time, turning 40 nowadays seems quite a young and fortunate age, indeed. In terms of my great-great-grandmothers' lives, it's more like turning 25.

Happy 25th birthday to me!

15 comments:

Aunty Evil said...

Great post! Happy birthday too.

While researching my family tree, I spent a lot of time in the old cemeteries in Sydney. Even as soon as 100 years ago, people had depressingly short lives. I would see whole families wiped out within 18 months of each other.

When I was about to turn 40 a "ahem" couple of years ago, I started to feel a crisis working its way into my psyche.

A lady I worked with said to me "get over it. You are lucky to be here. I nearly died a few years back, and do you have any idea how many people die before their time? They never make it to 40. It's an achievement that should be celebrated."

So true. So I threw myself a party instead, and had a hoot!

The news each day will tell you how many people die in tragic and heartbreaking circumstances. Kids, young adults, and others, people who have so much to live for.

Celebrate! It's good to be here!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking much recently about that very thing, and have concluded that the 40s are indeed the new 20s. So live it up, young sprite!!

BTW, that cake is exquisite, as is the slab of granite its sitting on.

Happy, happy birthday !!

kurrabikid said...

Yes! Happy 25th! A great post...

Anonymous said...

Yipee---I'm only 40!!

Mary said...

Laughing at your mum!!

Another venue to leave birthday wishes for you!

Happy BIrthday.

I found this post inordinately comforting !

Anonymous said...

Great post.

I've always been very happy I was born in this era. I know that Tom (the oldest) and I would not have survived childbirth in the good old days, so I appreciate every day.

Happy birthday!! (again)

Stomper Girl said...

Happy birthday Alison! Cheque is in the mail...

When I turned ..um.. 25.. I received a card that said "Honey, you couldn't PAY me to be 20 again" and ain't that the truth.

I'm also a paid-up card-carrying member of the *would have died in childbirth club if I'd done it in the olden days*, as is Climber.

Brenda said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Forty sounds so young. I think I did feel 25 when I was 40. It is good to look back at life many years ago and be thankful for what we have now. That is why I enjoy your blog so much!

Anonymous said...

My life is getting better the older I get. Bring it on, I say!!! :)

Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy 25th Birthday Ali!

nutmeg said...

Best wishes (again!)

I am all too ready to accept that 40 is the new 25 - I only wish my neck was too ;-)

Anonymous said...

Happy 25th Birthday :)

Tatersmama said...

Happy 25th !
I hope your day is special in every way... :-)

Jacqueline said...

Indeed! Happy Birthday to you. There has been a spate of them lately which I find really interesting - about four of my favourite bloggers have had a 40th in the past month, including you, and so have I!

I heard a heart breaking story of young girl in Africa on the radio this week - the lot of women in some parts of the world is still terrible and you are right, we are very lucky to live when and where we do.

carolyn said...

Belated Birthday Greetings to a 25 year old!!!