Sunday, December 28, 2008

Cookies that "stir" rather than "whirr" in the kitchen

Many Western Australians grew up learning to cook from either the Golden Wattle Cookbook or the CWA (Country Women's Association) Cookbook. We had both in my house. The CWA cookbook was first published in 1936 after a call was put out to all Western Australian branches for members to submit recipes. Recipes flooded in once members could put their name to their creations.
"...The recipes and hints contained in this book are all thoroughly reliable, and are in almost daily use in the home of the women who have contributed them. They are for the most part simple and economical, and within the reach of every intelligent Australian housewife." from the preface to the CWA Cookbook (1936 edition) by Agnes K. B. Barnes

As a child I would often cook from this book. Many of the recipes were simple and required only a bowl and a wooden spoon. Mum would keep old butter wrappers which would be used as cake tin liners and with this book I could make all manner of concoctions. You would have loved, I am sure, to have been the recipient of my layered green, blue and purple cake. Perhaps mum should've kept the food colouring in a more secure place...

I would love for my children to have the same freedom in the kitchen to cook, however I find myself having to set up all manner of machinery to help them cream butter and sugar, or to help them use the food processor. Not to mention the amount of washing up all that produces.

So when my 8yo son wanted to bake biscuits (AmE: Cookies) the other day I searched once more through the CWA cookbook (facsimile 1936 edition) for a simple recipe. We found this recipe from Mrs Brebner in Kellerberrin. I wonder was Mrs Brebner an American lady? It seems unusual to call this recipe cookies rather than biscuits.

This was a simple recipe needing only measuring, stirring, kneading, rolling and cutting. No machines that go "whirr" required. The only supervision needed was putting the cookies in the oven.

They tasted great.

And once finished it was only fitting that the washing up be done by hand as well.

I think we'll search out more simple recipes that go "stir" rather than "whirr".

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies look delicious - I'm sure you all enjoyed them. I started out with bowl and wooden spoon and two years into marriage succumbed to the lure of the Kenwood Chef which incidentally hasn't been serviced in 39 years! Nowadays I tend to go back to the bowl and spoon or use a melt and mix recipe rather than pull the dear old thing out of the cupboard and have the chore of cleaning it!

Stomper Girl said...

I must try that one with the nearly 8 year old - much as he loves to help me I can sense that he is desperate to have control of the whole baking from start to finish.

Anonymous said...

I still have my CWA book too (well, mums) and that recipe is a tried and tru. It can be iced. have chocolate chips added, be covered in 100s and 1000s (AmE 'sprinkles), and so on. Thanks for the reminder!

Dee said...

I am a big fan of the no whirr cooking, due to the same reasons as you.
I love cookbooks like that, or ones you get from schools, with recipes from the parents and staff, that are all "favorites" and easy to make.
The biscuits look great!

Anonymous said...

No whirr is the reason I often make muffins rather than cupcakes. Gives the arm a good work out too!

I'll bet they tasted great!