Monday, August 24, 2009

Do those cents really add up?

The Mof's One Year National Savings Service Badge.


When I was in primary school in the 1970s, the local Commonwealth Bank staff would visit the school regularly for children to deposit small amounts of money into their school savings accounts. These were interest-bearing deposit accounts which converted to regular bank accounts when the children left school. 'School Banking Day' was a long-standing tradition.

There is a excellent short filmclip at the Australian Screen website showing school children arriving at school in 1951 and giving their teacher small deposits of coins which he records in their bank books.

Before our time, the concept of regular bank savings was drummed into children from a young age, and it was not a phenomenon particular to Australia.

The Mof recalls that in Scotland:

The maxim of, "Look after the pence and the pounds will look after themselves," was drilled into us as children and we were encouraged to save whatever we earned or were given. Apart from the piggy bank, which could be rifled in desperation, one of the common ways to save was through the National Savings scheme.

The National Savings scheme was started in Britain during the First World War. The British Government introduced several ways to save as they needed both to reduce borrowings and raise funds for the war effort. The National Savings Movement, as it was originally called, grew from volunteers who organised Local Savings Committees and was launched at the Guildhall in London in 1916 with the intent to encourage British people to save and prosper.

Groups were formed in factories, shops, clubs and schools with an organiser collecting and recording the monies on a weekly basis. Savings took the form of savings stamps, certificates and bonds.

On a personal level I first encountered National Savings as it came to be known, as a student in primary school. Every Monday morning children arrived with their few pennies (the well off ones may have had a shilling!) to be collected and recorded by the teacher. On reaching a certain amount, which may have been 20 shillings (one
pound) or perhaps 21 shillings (a guinea) the child was given a savings certificate.

Later as a teacher I was on the collecting and recording side. Every year a district National Savings conference was held at a very swish hotel -- one I would never have been able to frequent as a humble teacher!

Service badges were awarded to the volunteer collectors. The one year badge was as far as I aspired, as I then married and came to Australia.

Nowadays we still encourage our children to save, but I suspect that the physicality of clutching coins in your sweaty hand on the way to school, handing them over and watching as the numbers recorded in your passbook grew each week is somewhat diluted by e-banking methods.

Although my husband and I insist that our daughters save some of their pocket money each week, it is transferred automatically via a direct debit to their account. It must be hard for them to imagine that the money even exists!

They do however, 'save up' their disposable pocket money in their purses for things they want to buy, and the youngest has started collecting every stray five cent piece she finds around the place and putting them into a container in the kitchen. It is surprising how many wayward five cents there are in this world! It's a slow process, but she now has a couple of dollars in the container. For her, this provides the joy that 1950s children may have had watching their bank deposits grow.


Does the electronic nature of banking today challenge children's concepts of long-term saving? Do school banking savings schemes still exist? How do you encourage children to save for the future?

10 comments:

trash said...

Do you remember the Aussie Bonds in the 1970s? I can still sing the jingle! "Aussie Bonds, Aussie Bonds. The savings bonds backed by Australia. You can get them at official dealers,Post Offices and Banks. 20 dollars'll get you started and your country will say thanks. And when you need your money back there's no questions asked. A month is all it takes you get your money fast. (then a voice says) "If you want attractive rates up to 12 3/4%.".

Oh I really should get out more.

trash said...

Haha! I have remembered the rest of the talky bit at the end!! "It's in your own interest so it makes a lot of sense." Cue repetitious singing about Aussie Bonds. :-)

Nanu said...

When I was born, my mother opened a bank account in my name with the Trustee Savings Bank (Mof will understand that) and deposited 6d (@ 5p in British money now) in it each week till I started school. (For all you foreigners out there the "d" means penny in old British money but comes from an old Roman silver coin "denarius". You all really wanted to know that didn't you!) When I went to school, I was entrusted with the coin (yes, a silver sixpence) each Monday morning to buy a savings stamp, as referred to, by Mof which was then stuck in the savings book. When each one was full, my mother took it to the bank and my account was credited with that amount. One Monday evening, when my mother asked for the book, horror of horrors, it was gone so I was instructed to report this to the class teacher next day. On doing so, other hands went up saying theirs was missing, too. School detective work discovered the culprit – a boy in my class! On another occasion, my mother noticed it was missing from it's spot on the mantelpiece after seeing the wife of a colleague of my father's out but her husband got it back. Despite this system's obvious vulnerability, the weekly saving was kept up through primary school but stopped at secondary probably because that school didn't run it. My mother said the money was to give me a financial help when I got married so it lay in the account till then when I bought a second-hand automatic washing machine with it – something I woudn't have been able to afford for a long time as they were comparatively much more expensive then but what a life-saver it was. My mother had no idea in 1943 what I would spend it on in 1967 but she certainly knew that there would be something that would ease the burden of running a house then that would probably be unaffordable and so had to be saved up for having gone through two World Wars and the Great Depression. Now, I don't know what I would recommend with the current global financial situation being the way it is.

Nanu said...

Sorry, wee mistake made. For Fiona read Nanu.

Stacey said...

The boys are learning about money at school at the moment and Conor's class in particular have a savings scheme, whereby they earn and lose "money" for good / bad deeds and then get to "spend" it on free / computer time.
It's interesting to see their different attitudes to money. One wants to spend, spend, spend whereas the other is more interested in counting his $$.

Dee said...

My girls love collecting coins, but with the electroic age, they think money comes out of the wall now.... when i say to tehm I cant buy something as I dont have enough money, the oldest says - just go to the wall mum.

I do remember going to the bank with mum as a kid and putting my coins in and getting my passbook, it was fun.

weenie_elise said...

i was so jealous of the kids in primary school who took part in the savings scheme and got Dollarmite money boxes. My parents just added money to my account when they had it so i wasn't part of it, but I was envious of the orange plastic money boxes.

A Box of Chocolates said...

I can remember the banking day at school it was exciting going off with my coins to bank, I loved knowing that I had money in the bank. We have 3 daughters the eldest 25 and married and twins who will be 20 in October. They have all been taught the value of saving. From the first pocket money payment, we have implemented some form of savings scheme. As they got older we had some jars to put the money they could spend in and the money they were to bank in and when they reached a few dollars we would go off to the bank and put it in there student accounts, which at the time carried now fees. Not sure how that goes now? As the girls gt older and had after school jobs, they had more specific saving goals and we opened sub accounts attached to their primary savings accounts and earning really good interest a few years back, not so great now. They all have saved for and bought their own beginner cars, had money for insurance, rego and maintence stashed away in a specific sub account. The twins also managed to save enough money to travel overseas for a year last year and since they have returned home have once again started the same savings plans they had before. Daughter number 1 is married and between her and her husband owns 22acres of land on the outskirts of town and opposite a winery,(grat potential in the future) and 3 houses and 2 blocks of land. They only recently have sold another 2 houses to adjust some debt. Savings does pay off and we as parents realy need to be vigilent and teach it to our children or grandchildren.

greenfumb said...

We had PO Savings Bank accounts in NZ called Squirrel accounts and we put 20c in every Friday at school. To be honest I can't remember whether I ever spent the money, it could still be in there and now worth a small fortune for all I know.

My kids have accounts and I just pay their pocket money in every week using internet banking. That way they are not bothering me for a couple of dollars every 5 minutes and they have to save up for bigger things that they want.

Stomper Girl said...

I remember vaguely the Commonwealth Bank coming to school but I'm buggered if I know what happened to the savings! My kids have various money boxes and enjoy having money in there. There is sometimes talk of using it to purchase something but we rarely go out shopping as a designated activity, and so the money stays in the tin. Having said that, we are yet to introduce pocket money - I see the value of teaching money management but at 8 and 5 I don't see that they need any money yet.