Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Living the past - 1790s style

Remember when I sacrificed my hot showers in the name of research for the 1930s bathing challenge? I was pretty proud of sticking with the sponge-bathing routine for a whole week.

But Scottish writer and museum researcher, Fiona Houston, puts my paltry effort to shame. In 2005, she embarked on a year-long project to live as her forebears had in 1790s Scotland - housing, clothing, food, agriculture, technology...all exactly as it had been for her ancestors.

In this video she talks a little about the project:




Fiona has now published a book with a detailed account of how she lived that year, The Garden Cottage Diaries. (Check the link for an interesting extract from the book regarding the making of nettle soup.)

The publisher says about the book:


Bemoaning the evils of the modern diet, Fiona J Houston was challenged to prove her claim that people ate better 200 years ago than they do today. Thus began an extraordinary experiment: for a full year, she immersed herself in the 1790s lifestyle of her rural ancestors. She wore home-made clothes, ate from her garden (frequently entertaining family and friends), learned lost crafts and skills, and endured dark, cold winter nights with only her fire and candles for warmth and light. Her quirky, lively and down-to-earth account is packed with history, folklore, facts, practical tips and curiosities.



If you are interested, the book can be obtained direct from the publisher (UK readers). For non-UK readers, I discovered I could get it from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ who deliver worldwide for free.)

The part that would really get to me, I think, would be sleeping on a straw mattress. Give me my inner-sprung posturpedic any day. And hot showers.

Reading about Fiona Houston's experience made me reflect on the lives of my own ancestors, who also lived in Scotland, however I then started to think about how life would have been for women in Australia in the same time frame and what it would take to live that life for a year.

If you were a woman in Australia in the early 1790s you fell into one of three groups; Indigenous women living a traditional life, convict women transported for crimes committed in Britain, or the wives and families of the officers, marines and ships' crews accompanying the first fleets to establish the new penal colony of New South Wales. After 1793 a new group joined them, the free settler women.

Life for most of these women was tough, and particularly so for the second of these groups. The conditions on the transportation ships were horrendous. There were one hundred female convicts aboard the Lady Penrhyn of the First Fleet. Many of them were ill and they were badly clothed. They had been imprisoned in England for years before transportation and had bathed infrequently. Five women died before the ship even set sail and many others died on the journey or soon after arrival.

Once they were in New South Wales, the convict women were assigned to military or free families and worked as servants doing hard physical labour, or worked in groups building roads. They lived in barracks or in tents. There are many interesting stories about what happened to these women, some of which can be read at the Australian Government Culture and Recreation Portal.

Many convicts received pardons or tickets of leave within a few years of arriving in New South Wales and they then attempted to build a new life in this very strange land.

In her excellent novel, The Secret River, Australian writer Kate Grenville immerses the reader into the experience of creating that new life on the banks of Hawkesbury River in the early 1800s. It was truly frontier territory. In addition to having to start from scratch in building shelter, growing food, securing fresh water and tending animals, the settlers had to negotiate living alongside Indigenous people who already had rights to this land. The 'negotiations' were often carried out through violence.

The main character in The Secret River is William Thornhill, a bargeman from London who is transported to New South Wales in the early 1800s for the term of his natural life. He arrives with his wife Sal and their children. Eight years later, Thornhill is a free man who sails up the Hawkesbury River to claim a hundred acres.

I found his wife Sal to be a fascinating character. She holds very dearly to the idea of returning to England and yet, she battles on with a stoic determination to create a home and life.

It is a world in which there is no medical treatment for sick children, where crops fail and families starve. Supplies are days, if not weeks, away and there is little communication with the outside world. The 'house' is a rough-hewn hut constructed out of forest timbers. Despite the area being reasonably rich in natural flora and fauna, for the Thornhills there was nothing but salt pork and damper to eat as they were unwilling to learn from the local Indigenous experience.

It would be a life of extreme physical hardship and, while I am in complete awe of Fiona Houston's Garden Cottage project, I wouldn't be volunteering to take on a year in a Hawkesbury hut. I think this is definitely a case where it is better to experience it vicariously through the pages of fiction.

A year as a 19th century English lady of the manor, however... I think I would be up to that task.

What previous life would you be prepared to live for a year?

15 comments:

Mary said...

Lady of the Manor for sure (a kind Mistress I would be) and always fascinated by 1920s America - a flapper - not for a year though!

weenie_elise said...

you've seen 50s gal at my year 1955 ? very interesting

I would do the 50's, 40's, 20's, teens, turn of the century

maybe even a medieval year...which would be way hard... but interesting...

although convincing my husband to join me would be a completely different matter

Anonymous said...

Such a fascinating bit of footage. Living, as she did, in the 1790s would really highlight those things that we could do without now. I wonder, however, how she managed personal women things. That alone keeps me from dreaming about times past. I want to pick through the knowledge and skills and use them in my 21st century life.

Her point about food really resonates.

Anonymous said...

I'd be resonably happy to live in any period of history with one caveat: I'd want to live it as a nun. Regular meals, no menfolk interfering (well, except the priest on Sundays) and no risk of pregnancy and childbirth.

Stacey said...

I saw a doco recently on the women that arrived on the Lady Penhryn. Fascinating!
I don't think I could go back to an earlier period. I'm too used to my soft existence.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely plump for Lady of the Manor in Victorian times!
The gentle arts of sewing and painting with beautiful gardens to stroll in.

Nanu said...

Having enjoyed being a student in the Britain of the sixties, that's a difficult one but to try something completely different would be interesting. Visiting the extremely well-preserved stone-age settlement at Skara Brae on the Orkney Islands makes that tempting. The dwelling places were quite sophisticated and the climate was much warmer than it is now. Male thigh bones discovered show that the average male was 6 feet (almost 2 metres) tall and extremely well nourished with plenty of game and fish available so life would be comfortable and healthy. Best of all, they didn't need any of the modern appliances that we treasure as they didn't have to cope with any of that kind of work – such as no cleaning or washing and only basic cooking and you're out the minute you're up which is why I like wild camping so much never mind any of the modern irritations that we have to put up with. It would be good to discover if that would compensate for the best of what we have now.

Brenda said...

Another great post you ladies came up with! I think you could put some of these post eventually in a book form. I am very interested in all of the ones you have posted. I often wonder about times from the past and what it would be like to try to blend in, but my thoughts are more in line with the movies "Back To The Future". Perhaps try to live in them for only a day or week. Amazing that someone would give it a try for a year!

Melinda said...

I always fancied myself a suffragette. Standing up for the right of women to vote!

I can't imagine living in a time where the main goal everyday was just to survive. Sad that many people still face that fact everyday. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to trade my comforts, particularly my PC and my electric lights for another era. I love history. But I like it best in books.

Dee said...

I am a seventh generation aussie, my ancestor came out on the second fleet ship Lady Julianna,also called "the Floating Brothel" I would not wish those times on anyone. I have read a few convict books, thanks for the other links, I find it very interesting. If I had to go back, I think sometime from about 1920 would be bearable! I know, not very adventurous!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Did you see the program they filmed 2-3 yrs ago (forget the name) where a few families & others had to live as early settlers in the Hawkesbury did.

I was fascinated and glad I was born in mid 20th century.

I missed a few episodes but it was filmed not far from where we live.A 'few' settlers escaped back to civilisation because they couldn't handle it

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Did you see the program they filmed 2-3 yrs ago (forget the name) where a few families & others had to live as early settlers in the Hawkesbury did.

I was fascinated and glad I was born in mid 20th century.

I missed a few episodes but it was filmed not far from where we live.A 'few' settlers escaped back to civilisation because they couldn't handle it

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I just found it - it was called 'The Colony'

http://australianscreen.com.au/titles/the-colony/

Nardvark said...

I'm researching for a new story and found this very educational; than you!

Anonymous said...

Damn I didn't know this!!!!